Sunday, May 24, 2009

Communion with Christ in Singing the Psalms

I had no thought of writing an entry to my blog now the early morning after the Lord's Day. Yet I was having a private psalm-singing service before reading the Scriptures and praying. I was struck as I sang aloud from Psalm 39 that I was in actual communion with Christ as I sang these words: "Yes, I was dumb; I opened not my mouth, Because this work was done at Thy command." This is verse 9 of Psalm 39. With clarity, I sang with Christ regarding his sufferings and his trial before Pilate. In John 19:10, it reads: "Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?" Of course, this verse fulfills Isaiah's prophecy in chapter 53 that speaks of the Servant of the Lord become like a lamb dumb to the slaughter.

Jesus did say after his resurrection that the Psalms speak of him. They do. Psalm-singing offers the Christian a marvelous opportunity to praise our God and the Christ in manifold ways. Throughout the Psalms, we can praise Christ for his incarnation (Psalm 8), his suffering on the cross (Psalm 22), his resurrection (Psalm 16), his prophetic office (Psalm 78), his High Priesthood (Psalm 110), and his kingship (Psalm 2). What can a man whoever so godly compose better than the Holy Spirit?

Not only do African American Baptists need to incorporate psalm-singing in the public worship, but also in private and family worship. We can truly magnify the Christ by singing the inspired songs that spoke about him.

No comments: