Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Has our Culture become an Idol?

Big question. I'll make this point short though. I have noticed African American Christians (I can't speak for European-Americans, or other hyphenated Americans) have a rather chauvinistic view when it comes to church and worship culture. I have been criticized for teaching my little one psalms set to "European" tunes. I had to think: is this a sin? At the same time, we have sung a psalm set to an African tune. Go figure.

Does the communion of the saints mean that ethnic groups remain segregated and worship in cultural ways nullifying the commandments of God? Can we draw from reverent and appropriate tunes from the global church?

If churches reformed their worship to the elements we see in NT, maybe the cultural questions and chauvinism will fade away.

No comments: