Monday, June 13, 2011

Communion of the Saints and Invisibility

In recent weeks the reality of social invisibility has resonated in my mind as I commune with saints of European descent. Yesterday I had the pleasure of participating in a worship service at an African American Baptist church focusing on manhood. I spoke for 23 minutes on "The Purpose of a Christian Man." That's not the point here. My point is that when I told people what church I go to, no one knew about it. The large Orthodox Presbyterian church I have made my home is invisible to African Americans who are Baptists and non-denominational Evangelicals.

This hurts my heart especially as the line in the Apostles' Creed echoes in my head: "I believe in the holy catholic church; the communion of the saints." Also there's an entire chapter in the Westminster Confession of Faith devoted to the communion of the saints. Here's a brief snipet that's operative to this issue: "Saints by profession are bound to maintain an holy fellowship and communion in the worship of God, and in performing such other spiritual services as tend to their mutual edification." When it comes to the practice of this truth as it pertains to communion outside of ethnic enclaves we fall way short. It seems as though we are comfortable with our distance. We can nod to the belief in the communion of the saints, but we just lack the gumption to put it into practice. It seems as though our sociology takes precedent over our theology.

Our lack of true community as Christians is sin. Our indifference is sin. Our mutual arrogance and aloofness is sin. Let's pray for holy boldness like Paul who confronted Peter's sin of racism recorded in Galatians 2. I have news for everyone: heaven is integrated! Lord God, let thy will be done on earth as it is done in heaven.

1 comment:

Craig L. Adams said...

Heaven is integrated. You are certainly right about that, anyway.